哈佛大學校園生活情景對話***2***

General 更新 2024年05月21日

  哈佛校園情景對話:馬薩諸塞堂                              返回目錄

  Han Meimei and John is looking for somewhere they can have a rest.

  J: I'm exhausted.I can’t walk any longer. Let’s have a rest.

  J:累死我了,我走不動了,歇會兒吧。

  H: You all right? We didn’t walk too much.

  H:你還好吧?我們也沒走太多路呀。

  J: I went mountain climbing yesterday with my Christian brothers.

  J:我昨天和教友們去爬山了。

  H: That must be tiring. Look, there,re a lot of people sitting over there. Hold out! We're almost there.

  H:那肯定很累人。看,有很多人坐在那邊休息呢。堅持一下,就快到了。

  J: Oh, I didn’t realize we’re arriving at Tanner Fountain. Great!

  J:哦,我沒意識到我們就快到唐納噴泉了,太好了

  H: You know there?

  H:你知道那兒?

  J: Sure. I believe that’s the most terrific place at Harvard.

  J:當然,我認為那是哈佛最美的地方。

  H: Why didn’t you take me here?

  H:那你為什麼不帶我來這兒呢?

  J: I planned to show you some places that have historical significance. You can put the blame on me.

  J:我原打算讓你看看有歷史意義的地方,怪我。

  H: I wasn’t blaming you. I was just asking you.

  H:我不是在怪你,我只是問你。

  J: Well, not too late to make up for my fault.

  J:好吧,亡羊補牢為時不晚。

  ***They reach the fountain.***

  ***他們達到噴泉。***

  H: It is beautiful. But...it looks a little strange, but I can’t tell.

  H:確實很漂亮,但……看起來有點怪,但又說不上來。

  J: Look at it more closely. Don’t you see that the water is at the same level as the ground?

  J:再仔細看看,不覺得水和地面在一個平面上嗎?

  H: Oh, I see. The fountains Fve seen before all have basins, but this one doesn't.

  H:啊,我明白了。我以前見過的噴泉都有水池,而這個設有。

  J: That’s the innovation of this fountain.

  J:這就是這個噴泉的創新之處。

  H: No wonder it is well-preserved.

  H:怪不得保持得這麼完好。

  J: I haven’t thought about this question. Why?

  J:我設想過這個問題,為什麼?

  H: You know, most of the fountains are actually abandoned after some time. The water used to be clear, and there were even some fish. Finally, they only turn out to be dry basins without water.

  H:你知道,實際上很多噴泉在用了一段時間之後就荒廢了。以前水是清的,水裡甚 至還有魚,但最後只剩下設有水的乾池子了。

  J: How come?

  j:怎麼回事?

  H: Because the basin can leak, and people don’t want to take the trouble to mend it.

  H:因為水池會漏水,人們也不想修,嫌麻煩。

  J: That happens. The innovation of the design also lies in that a fountain like this brings people close to it.

  J:這樣的事經常發生。這個設計的新意還在於像這樣的噴泉可以讓人們更靠近它。

  H: Look at that guy, he seems to forget where he is and is just enjoying his life.

  H:看那個傢伙廠他似乎忘了自己在哪兒了,只是在盡情地享受生活。

  J; When people are here, they can totally relax and forget about the stresses of study and work.

  J:人們在這兒的時候可以完全於鬆,忘記學習和工作的壓力。

  H: You’re right that this is the most wonderful place I’ve seen today at Harvard. It shortens the distance between human and nature although it’s artificial.

  H:你是對的,這是我今天在哈佛看到的最棒的地方了。它縮短了人與自然之間的距 離,雖說它是人造的。

  J: In this sense, the design is human-centered.

  J:從這個意義上說,這個設計很人性化。

  H: Nature is blended into? life.

  H:自然融入了生活。

  J: What’s more, the fountain will have some changes with seasons.

  J:而且這個噴泉會隨季節變換而有一些變化。

  H: Sounds interesting!

  H:聽起來很有意思。

  J: In summer, people can play in the water. In winter, the steam from the heating system takes the place, making it even more beautiful

  J:夏天的時候,人們可以在水裡玩耍;冬天的時候,供暖系統提供的熱氣會籠罩這 裡,讓它更加漂亮。

  H: That’ll add some mystique? to it

  H:那會給這裡增添神祕感。

  J: Feel like you5re in heaven.

  J:感覺在天堂。

  H: I wish it were winter now. I’m imagining how beautiful it is in winter.

  H:希望現在就是冬天。我在想象冬天時它有多美。

  J: You can come back and appreciate it in winter.

  J:你可以冬天再來欣賞。

  H: I don’t want to miss such a good chance to take pictures. Can you take a photo for me?

  H:我可不想錯過這麼好的照相機會。你能繪我拍張照嗎?

  J: I don’t have a camera.

  J:我沒有相機。

  H: You can use the camera on my cell phone, it has five megapixel.

  H:可以用我手機上的相機,有500萬畫素。

  J: Cool! Say “cheese”,done! Come and see how it looks.

  J:酷! “茄子”,好了!過來看看怎麼樣。

  H: Perfect. Thank you.

  H:很好,謝謝你。

  J: It’s getting late. We’d better go home now.

  J:不早了,我們最好回去吧。

  H: My time in paradise is coming to an end. I haven’t finished my homework yet. I’m afraid I have to stay up.

  H:我的快樂時光即將結束了。我還沒寫完作業呢,恐怕要熬夜了。

  J: You’ll get used to it.

  J:你會習慣的。

  H: Well, I’ve been a bother today. Thank you very much for being my guide today.

  H:好吧,今天打擾你了,非常感謝你今天做我的導遊。

  J: Don't mention it. See you tomorrow at school.

  J:不客氣,明天學校見。

  H: See you.

  H:再見。

  哈佛校園情景對話:哈佛紀念堂                              返回目錄

  Han Meimei and John are heading for Harvard Memorial Hall.

  J: Next, I’ll show something that can remind people of the wounds of the States.

  J:接下來我要讓你看一樣東西,它令人們想起美國的創傷。

  H: Do you mean the Civil War?

  H:你是不是說內戰?

  J: Yes. It split a family, with the father on the Southern side and the son on the Northern side, and brothers turning against each other.

  J:是的,內戰使得家庭破裂,父親為南方而戰,兒子為北方而戰,兄弟之間也反目 成仇。

  H: What a tragedy!

  H:真是悲劇!

  J: The Civil War has been a grief to Americans, including Harvard people, needless to say. Classmates made their way to different armies. Some joined the Union and other turned to the Confederate.

  J:內戰一直都是美國人心中的痛,不用說也是哈佛人心中的傷痛。同學投奔不同的 軍隊,一些加入了北方聯邦軍隊,而另一些則加人了南方聯盟軍。

  H: Why did some students fight for the South? It is the South that broke away from the country.

  H:為什麼有的學生要為南方而戰呢?南方不是叛軍嗎?

  J: Yes, for most people, the North was fighting to liberate the slaves. It’s true. Nevertheless, not all the northern people fought with such a altruistic aim. You know, the North was desperate for free labor then.

  J:是的,對大多數人來說,北方是在為解放奴隸而戰,但並不是所有北方人都這麼 無私。你知道的,那時北方急需自由勞動力。

  H: If slaves were freed from the southern plantation,there would be more free labor.

  H:假如奴隸從南方的種植園中解放出來,就會有更多自由勞動力。

  J: It turned out to be true. After the Civil War, the South’s traditional economic system was paralyzed while the northern industry took off.

  J:事實確實如此。內戰後,南方的傳統經濟體制癱疾了,但北方的工業卻取得了巨 大的成功。 .

  H; Despite this, it was a must to rise as a modern industrial country.

  H:儘管如此,為了能成為一個現代工業強國,這個過程是必需的。

  J: That said,people can’t forget it. To remember the alumni who fought for the Union cause and died, Harvard constructed this Memorial Hall. Here we are. Lefs go inside.

  J:話雖如此,但很多人仍對此念念不忘。為了紀念為北方聯邦軍獻身的校友,哈佛 建造了這個紀念堂。我們到了,進去看看吧。

  H: It looks like a typical European architecture.

  H:看起來像個典型的歐式建築。

  J: The theatre’s design is based on Christopher Wren’s Sheldonian Theatre at Oxford, England.

  J:這個劇院是按照英國牛津大學的謝爾登尼安 劇院的樣子設計的,謝爾登尼安劇院是列恩 設計的。

  H: The theatre? Didn’t you say it’s a memorial hall?

  H:劇院?你不是說這是個紀念堂嗎?

  J: Oh, yes. The Hall consists of three parts, the Annenberg Hall, the Memorial Transept and Tower, an Sanders Theatre.

  J:哦,是的,紀念堂包括三個部分:安內伯格廳、

  H: Does each function differently?

  H:每個的功能各不相同?

  J: Rather different. The Annenberg Hall is the hall’s great room. It was converted to a student commons soon after construction. Now it’s the dining hall for all freshmen.

  H:相當不一樣。安內伯格廳是紀念堂的大廳,一建成就被用作學生休息室,現在是 新生食堂。

  H: A dinning hall?! Oh, my god! I thought it serves at least as a gallery or what.

  H:食堂?噢,天哪!我以為至少會是個美術館什麼的。

  J: The transept, or the main entrance to the hall, mainly serves that function. In 2006,I came here to appreciate the Deep Wounds, a temporary art instaUation that explored relationships destroyed by conflict and the possibility of healing.

  J:耳堂,也就是紀念堂的***的主要功能是展覽。2006年我來這兒欣賞了一下“深 傷”,那是個暫時性的藝術裝置,用來探索在內戰中破裂的關係和傷□愈含的可 能性。

  H: What was it like?

  H:是什麼樣的裝置?

  J: You know, the hall was built to honor the Harvard graduated who died in the Civil War while fighting for the Union. So each of these men’s year of graduation, name, and date of death are permanently inscribed in the marble wall of the transept.

  J:你知道的,紀念堂是為紀念在內戰中為聯邦軍陣亡的校友而建的,所以每個人的 畢業年份、名字、死亡日期都被永久性地刻在了耳堂的大理石牆上了。

  H: Only the names of those on the Union side?

  H:只有聯邦軍的名字?

  J: Yes. In the Deep Wounds, however, each Harvard Confederate man’s year of graduation, state, and date of death were projected onto the floor. Instead of a name, however, I saw a relationship such as “father” or “classmate” that described a relationship he had to those Union men on the wall.

  J:是的,但在“深傷”這個展覽上,每個參加南方聯盟軍的哈佛人的畢業年份、所 在州、死亡日期也都被投射在地板上。但我沒有看到名字,只看到了諸如“父親” 或“同學”之類的字樣,這些是用來描述他們和牆上那些聯邦軍之間的關係。

  H: To mend the broken families or relationships. What’s the function of the…theatre? I forget its name.

  H:為了修復破裂的家庭和關係。那個什麼劇院,我忘記名字了,它的功能是什麼?

  J: Sanders Theatre. It's internationally known for its superior acoustic. During the academic year, the theatre serves as the major lecture hall, hosting undergraduate courses, many prestigious lectures, and annual commencement and reunion activities. In other time, it’s a theatre.

  J:桑德斯劇院,它的音響效果超級好,在世界上都是有名的。學生在校期間,劇院 的功能是主教學樓,本科.生課程、很多著名講座、每車的畢業典禮和其他聚會活 動都是在這裡舉行的。其他時間裡,它就是個劇院。

  H: Designers were smart to combine historical meaning and practical functions in one architecture.

  H:設計者很聰明,把歷史意義和實用功能結含在了一起。

  哈佛校園情景對話:哈佛學院                              返回目錄

  Han Meimei and John meet on Monday. They are now talking about their future major.

  J: Han, Which major do you plan to choose?

  J:韓,打算選什麼專業啊?

  H: I haven’t think about this question.

  H:我還設想過這個問題。

  J: Jesus! Don’t you worry about or even think about you future?

  J:天啊,你從來沒想過或擔心過你的前途嗎?

  H: Yes,I do. I just don’t want to ask for trouble so early.

  H:是的,我只是不想這麼早就自尋煩惱。

  J: Too early? Han, it's your second year in high school!

  J:太早?梅梅,你現在已經是高二了!

  H: So what? Give me a break. Don’t laugh at me.

  H:那又怎樣?得了,別取笑我了。

  J: Don’t get angry. I was just kidding, to test your knowledge of Harvard University.

  J:別生氣,我只是開開玩笑,想試下你對哈佛大學的瞭解程度。

  H: Did it sound like a joke?

  H:這像開玩笑嗎?

  J: I apologize. But you have to confess that you don’t know Harvard at all.

  J:我道歉,但是你不得不承認你對哈佛大學一無所知。

  H: Not again. Does it have anything to do with Harvard?

  H:又來了。這與哈佛大學有什麼關係嗎?

  J: Yeah, of course it does. Aren’t you going to Harvard after graduation?

  J:當然有關係了,你畢業後不是想去哈佛大學嗎?

  H: Sure.

  H:是啊。

  J: So you’re right not to think too much about your major too early.

  J:因此你不想太早過多地考慮專業選擇的問題是對的。

  H: Don’t fool me. You know how important a major is? You know what a major mean? To a large extent,it'll determine your future life,.

  H:別笑我了,你知道專業有多重要嗎?你知道專業意味著什 麼嗎?在很大程度上,專業會決定你未來的生活。

  J: That’s right. A lot of students go to college because they believe that a good college or a

  good major will help them find a good job in the future.

  J:很對。很多學生認為上個好大學或者選擇_個好專業會幫 他們在未來找個好工作。

  H: Is it wrong to think so?

  H:那麼這麼想,錯了嗎?

  J: No. I said everyone has their own values. But to me, a good higher education aims to

  educate well-rounded individuals.

  J:不是的,每個人都有自己的價值觀,但是對我來說,一個好的高等教育的目標是要培育全面發展的人。

  H: Aren’t we?

  H:難道我們不是?

  J: If you aim at pursuing a certain occupational target, then you’re not well-rounded.

  J:如果你的目標是從事某一種職業,那麼你就不是很全面了。

  H: Make sense. I have so many interests and I don’t want to give up any of them. As a result, I can’t decide on my major.

  H:有道理,我有許多興趣,我不想放棄任何一個,所以我還設決定我要選什麼專業。

  J: Don’t worry. The freshmen don’t choose a major at Harvard College. They are only

  required to take Expository Writing, and may enroll any courses in which they are interested.

  J:別擔心,哈佛學院的新生不用選擇專業。他們只要求新生學習說明文寫作,學生 可以根據自己的喜好選擇所要學習的課程。

  H: That’s great!

  H:那太好了 !

  J: Besides, you can even change your major.

  J:另外,你還可以換專業。

  H: Couldn’t imagine that.

  H:真是難以想象啊!

  J: Harvard College offers us a liberal education. You do have a major, but it’s not so important as you thought, especially when you plan to go to graduate school.

  J:哈佛學院提供了一個自由的教育環境,你可以選擇一個專業,但是專業設有你想 象中的那麼重要,特別是如果你打算繼續研究生學習的話。

  H: Unbelievable.

  H:難以置信。

  J: The good graduate schools want flexible, adaptable minds, minds exposed to a broad

  range of knowledge and trained in rigorous critical thinking.

  J:好的研究生院是希望學生有靈活和適應性強的頭腦,能夠掌握全面的知識,擁有 良好的邏輯思考能力。

  H: So I don’t have to get a bachelor degree m pre-law if I want to go to the Law School.

  H:那就是說,如果我想進入法學院,我可以不用先拿到法學預科學位。

  J: Yes.

  J:是的。

  H: Really? ***Han Meimei lets out a sigh of relief***. To be honest, I've been torn between American literature and law. Vm interested in literature, but I want to be a lawyer.

  H:真的?***韓梅梅舒了一口氣***說真的,我正在為選擇美國文學,還是選擇法律而 左右為難呢。我喜歡文學,但是我又想成為一名律師。

  J: You can major in literature first, and go to Law School for further education, like me.

  J:你可以先選擇文學專業,然後進人法學院讀研究生,就像我一樣。

  H: You?

  H:你?

  J: I’m going to study physics and then go to Business School.

  J:我會先學習物理,然後去讀商學院。

  H: Good idea!

  H:好主意!

  J: No matter how many your interests have, Harvard College will fulfill most of them. In addition to the major field of concentration, you can choose a secondary field which need not be related to the primary field.

  J:無論有多少興趣愛好,哈佛大學都能滿足彳爾所有的需求。除了一個主攻學習專 業以外,你可以選擇第二專業,但是這個第二專業無需和主攻專業相關。

  H: We can choose as we wish.

  H:我們可以根據自己的意願來選擇。

  J: But we have to meet the minimal demand for a bachelor degree.

  J:但我們需要達到學士學位的最低要求。

  H: I like this kind of education. It treats students as humans rather than tools prepared for future walks.

  H:我喜歡這樣的教育方式,它把學生當成真正的人來培養,而不是把學生訓練成未 來工作所需要的工具。

關於讀書的英語名言加作者
哈佛大學校園生活情景對話***2***
相關知識
哈佛大學校園生活情景對話***2***
哈佛大學校園生活情景對話***2***
哈佛校園生活情景對話
關於大學校園生活的英語對話
有關我的大學校園生活作文
大學校園生活隨筆
有關校園生活英語對話閱讀
校園生活英語對話
有關愛爾蘭生活情景對話
大學英語兩人情景對話